This Story is from the Category Local News Click Link to View all Stories
State Police warning of Local Area Families Homes being Burglarized while at Funerals
Police say local thieves are being tipped off for houses to rob by the obituary column.
There have been a number of burglaries this past year, especially in Newton, Jasper, Pulaski and Starke counties. Thieves can find information and hours victims will be gone by reading the newspaper, on-line obituaries and social media.
Most of the burglaries have been done by forced entry, but there have been some occurrences where people have just left their doors unlocked.
The best way of protection against something like this is:
- Having someone be at your home during the time of the wake, memorial, or funeral.
- Have a home security system that is a direct link to a monitoring service. Some of these include outdoor cameras, automated lighting and alarms.
- Make sure your entry door and locks are strong and not easy to break into or down.
- Use your locks and secure your home every time you leave even if it’s just to go to the store down the road.
- Notify your local police and have them do extra patrols by your home during this time.
“It’s a shame that someone would take advantage of people’s grief and time of mourning but being just a little more vigilant can make the difference” said Indiana State Police Public Information Office Ann Wojas.